History of the Sycamore Guesthouse
Henry and Katherine Noller emigrated to the United States from Germany and settled in Three Oaks. They built their family home in an early Queen Ann style at the corner of N Elm Street and Sycamore streets where they raised their children. Mr. Noller passed away in 1886 and his last will & testament bequeathed “the use” of the family home to his widow for her remaining years. Mrs. Noller passed away in 1906 and thereafter their eldest son Peter Noller sold the family home to Roy Loop that same year for the sum of $2,800 on land contract.
Roy Loop, a blacksmith and later automobile garage owner modernized the home shortly after his purchase. He removed the coal stove chimneys and privy, added electric lighting, central heat and running water. The home was subsequently remodeled in 1934 where a 2nd kitchen was added upstairs along with partial bathrooms to the front and back of the 2nd floor. The original kitchen, laundry room, storeroom and back porch were removed from the back of the house and a garage added in their place with a main floor bedroom becoming the new kitchen. The rear parlor became a dining room and part of the wrap-around porch was enclosed. A subsequent remodel in 1942 brought more changes where the extensive gingerbread trim and Victorian architectural details were removed, new siding installed and the porch was rebuilt & simplified. Gladys Loop Hefferan became the owner in 1968 when Roy passed away. Gladys passed away in 1992 and her daughter Barbara sold the home. It changed hands several times between 1992 and 2007. During this time frame, the single-story additional (now the kitchen) was added to the south elevation along with other remodeling efforts.
The current owners acquired the home in 2016, embarking on an extensive remodel and restoration of the property; creating the Sycamore Guesthouse, a luxury-inspired inn & vacation rental property.